Koondoola Primary School is fortunate enough to have an Intensive English Centre on site. The Intensive English Centre runs a specialist programme for teaching English as an additional language to primary-aged children.
Our educational programmes are designed specifically to cater for:
- Newly arrived migrant and refugee students
- Year 1 students who may have been born in Australia, who come from a culturally and linguistically diverse background and who have limited English knowledge and skills. These students are referred from our local schools.
- Students are entitled to one or two years of Intensive English education depending on their visa.
- Highly trained, experienced and dedicated staff understand and develop the social, emotional and educational needs of culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- Ethnic Education Assistants who are fluent in a range of languages. They assist with communication between school, students, and parents, and also provide support in the classroom.
- Interpreters are used whenever required for parents.
- Small class sizes of around 15 students.
- Free dental care is made available by the Dental Therapy Clinic on site and a school nurse visits regularly.
- Bus transport is provided for students depending on visa category.
Features included in our educational programme:
- A supportive and nurturing environment is provided ensuring all students feel safe and secure in their new school.
- English as an additional language and all core curriculum areas are taught: Our educational programmes are designed specifically to provide the students with the English language knowledge, skills and the cultural understandings they require to successfully participate in our schools and wider community.
- A highly successful reading programme which assists all students, in particular those who are having difficulties with their reading.
Our computer specialist teacher works with all students and we have some very exciting programmes in place which the students and teachers are enjoying immensely.
- A strong emphasis is placed on the students’ health and well-being. Ongoing successful initiatives include: Bushrangers, Rainbows program (assimilation into the Australian culture), Afterschool Sport (Health), 12 Buckets Mentoring Programme and Play Therapy (Trauma).
- A multicultural Arts Program which includes Art, Drama, Music and a School Choir.
- Integration with mainstream classes through physical education, buddy classes and excursions.